Monday 19 March 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower 
by Stephen Chbosky 


In the novel,the language features were very simple and basic but at the same time,the story still managed to seem descriptive and deep. Looking through the perspective of Charlie's life made me look at my own life quite differently. As a character,he dominates everything around him. He doesn't get noticed often but he happens to always notice and observe everything around him,when others might not realise the particular things he takes notice of. During his struggles,he stays strong. He tends to pay more attention to others issues and problems instead of his own mess. The thing that shocked me most was when he came to the realisation of his favourite aunt being a person who in which molested him as a young kid. Through all that,he still managed to forgive her from the grave beneath. I personally think he's a great brother,student,friend,son and mainly person. He's intellectual whether it comes to the real world or the small world within school. He may not seem adventurous at first but he really is adventurous in unique manners. I kind of think Charlie is easy to judge;when you look at him he may seem weak and quiet but in all honesty,he's a strong individual with hope.What I'm writing here isn't much of a book review,it's more about my opinion on this lovely main character.I will start mentioning the characteristics of his two friends 'Sam' and 'Patrick' and  my analyse and opinion of them too.

Patrick,the stepbrother of Sam,is a casual and laid back guy.From what Charlie says,he's extremely hilarious.This is the type of guy who will make you grin or giggle during the rough patches of life. In the novel,he outgoes terrible situations. He's a homosexual and doesn't mind this at all.Brad, the football quarter-back is also on the same page but sadly feels ashamed about being one. Patrick and Brad's relationship develops and before they even know it,Brad's dad catches them both in the act. With Brad getting a black eye from his dad,he then starts to ignore Patrick. Patrick begins to feel all sorts of emotions such as sadness,isolation and depression. When Patrick is emotionally under pressure,his personality completely changes. I know Patrick as the guy who will not take anything in life too seriously but instead enjoy the funny bits. I know Patrick as the guy who is always there for his buddies. And most of all I know Patrick as the guy who taught Charlie the important things in life.

Sam is smart,pretty and nice in Charlie's point of view. She's understanding and can make almost anyone feel comfortable around her.When she finds out Charlie has a crush on her,she leaves it at that and laughs it off,that just shows how down to earth and calm she really is. When Charlie came up to Sam to kiss her due to being dared to kiss the prettiest girl in the room,Sam didn't take it as a compliment but got severely angered by this.She wasn't happy about it because her friend Mary got radically hurt,this also shows what type of friend Sam can be. And I must say,anyone would be lucky to have a great friend like her. She's open minded and peaceful.

Overall,it would be so lovely to have these three as my bestfriends. They'd know how to cheer me up,they'd be trustworthy and they'd be there for me. Hopefully in real life,I will come across people like them.

I'm excited about it becoming a film.It's directed by the author himself.I will definitely watch it as soon as it hits theatres.

If you haven't read 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky,you're probably confused by this article. My advice is...Go read it! You don't know what you're missing out on. It's a brilliant read of life's dynamics for many young adults.









2 comments:

  1. I have actually read this novel. It is now one of my favourite books. It made me feel a lot of different emotions. I was happy because I thaught about what a good friend Sam is, how she is trustworthy and calm. I also was sad because of Brad and Patricks relationship. How Brads dad gave him a black eye because of what he was. And how patrick felt sad, depressed and isolated.

    I keep this book close at heart. And I didn't know it was becoming a film! This is really exciting news as I often thaught about it.
    When is it out in the cinemas ?x

    Sorry this comment is so long. I just got a bit carried away! x

    http://charlie-teenagewish.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.We're both pretty much excited. Sorry for replying to this comment quite late,I had to go to bed.It would be absolutely great to have them as my buddies,sadly they're fictional characters..But that doesn't mean there aren't great people like them out there. I know a guy who is quite similar to Patrick himself. There has been speculation of the film being released somewhere in September this year.

    ReplyDelete